Sunday, February 8, 2015

Target Canada Liquidation: Thoughts and Haul

The sad time has come. Target Canada is closing its doors. Unfortunately the American chain didn't do so well here, likely because the public's expectations were quite high. I don't think Target execs realized the fact that Canadians shop in the States so frequently, and are aware of how great Target is there, because when it arrived here we were welcomed with barren shelves and pitiful lack of variety. They failed to recognize how much we know and love American Target. They didn't prepare themselves well enough to have new and exciting products shipped over. They opened too many stores too quickly. They jumped right in when they should've had a test run first.

That said, I reasonably enjoyed Target Canada. Yes, it was poorly stocked half the time, but I did find certain items that I thought were worth buying. They had a great little home decor section, and stocked Elf and Sonia Kashuk in their makeup aisle. I found my use for Target, but apparently the same can't be said for the rest of the Canadian population. It's a real shame that they couldn't get it together, but after they announced their closing I knew that meant they would begin putting everything on sale, which I was definitely excited for.

A couple days ago Target advertised a massive liquidation: everything in the store was marked down to 10-30% off... Wait, 30% off? That's considered massive liquidation? I suppose they're going to gradually mark the prices lower as the store reaches its end, but it's still sad that they couldn't even get people excited for their final hurrah in Canada.

That said, I ended up buying some goodies because I figured I better take advantage while Target is still around. Here's what I bought.

Of course I hit up the makeup section and was pleased to find out that the cosmetics were 30% off (the better end of the sale spectrum), so I took the opportunity to buy three old favourites: the L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, Essie Good To Go top coat (from $8.99 to $6.29), and Maybelline Stiletto Liner. I also got the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara and the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer which are new products for me.



Then in the home decor section (20% off) I found these interesting "sea urchin" wall decorations (from $19.99 to $15.99) that I thought would look cool in my room. Also from the home decor section (not pictured) I picked up a plain wooden 5x7 picture frame (from $5.99 to $4.79).



Finally I got this set of three shelves (from $24.99 to $19.99).

I think the sale was worth it for home decor and makeup because home decor is already quite inexpensive at Target normally, so at 20% it's even more worth it, and 30% off makeup can make a sizeable different so I took advantage. I'll probably end up going back in maybe a week to see if the sales got any better. But for now... RIP Target!

No comments:

Post a Comment