Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Picture Book Treasures

I've been working in a children's library for a little over six months now, and I've developed a massive appreciation for picture books. I often receive the books we order, and I love leafing through the new picture books. I think I’m drawn to their perfect mix of simplistic content and intricate illustration. Any design-lover will surely agree.

I feel like my “picture book” phase as a child was a little rushed. From my understanding, books were around so I could learn how to read. So, naturally, once I learned, I graduated to chapter books and never looked back. At 21 years old I’m only now seeing picture books as the tiny works of art that they really are.

I’ve been keeping a running list of the ones I found particularly great, though I have no moms in my life who will truly appreciate them like I do! BUT, I’ve been keeping up with mummy bloggers like Sprinkle of Glitter and Hannah Maggs lately, so I though I’d dedicate this post to them :) I even contemplated buying them each a couple books I love and shipping them over to England... But on a student's budget I realize that's not very reasonable! This post will have to do!

Source
The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt is one of my favorites. It's told from the point of view of the crayons, each of them "quitting" because the child they're being used by ("Duncan") is abusing them in some way. For example, the blue crayon quit because he's tuckered out from being used to color in the sky and ocean all the time. It's one of the most charming things I've ever laid eyes on!

Source
At the Same Moment Around the World by Clotilde Perrin depicts one day (24 hours) on Earth and illustrates a short story for each time zone. The drawings are so beautiful and each story is culture and time zone-specific, so it's super educational and fun to look at.

Source
Extraordinary Jane by Hannah E. Harrison is about a little pup who, as a circus dog, could never measure up to any of her siblings' performances - but at the end of the day, she's still a really good dog and that's all that matters. I'm a little iffy on this one because circuses irk me a bit, but it's too cute to resist and the illustrations are precious. Also Jane reminds me of my doggy!

Source
Monday, Wednesday, and Every Other Weekend by Karen Stanton is a really heartwarming story. It's about divorce and living in two separate houses, and I think it's really essential to teach your child about even if you're not in a similar situation because it can help them understand what other kids might be going through. For me, it hit quite close to home because my parents are divorced and my puppy was my sidekick throughout the whole ordeal. 


Source
Flo & Wendell by William Wegman is a quirky tale of two dogs photoshopped onto people bodies. I mostly love this one because the graphics are so fun. William Wegman, the author, is also an acclaimed American filmmaker that I actually learned about in my film class. He does a lot of experimental work, usually involving his two dogs. Are you sensing a "dog" theme in my choices? Hmmm.


Source
Last but not least, I have to recommend Robert Munsch's Purple, Green and Yellow. If there's one picture book author I can recall from my childhood, it's Robert Munsch. His storytelling is really like none other, and I'm pretty sure I read this book like a thousand times as a kid!

And that's it! I know this isn't really my genre of post, but none of my blogs this month have been... Oh well :) Change is good. Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment