Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I Must Have Seasonal Affective Disorder

There has only been one thought going through my head lately... WHEN. WILL. WINTER. END??? Mother Nature must have some sort of apocalyptic vendetta with humanity because I look outside and think, "Someone up there must really hate the world right now."

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the northern hemisphere, but Canada is absolutely dreadful. I can't, for the life of me, remember a time when winter was so bad. We have had snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm. It'll creep up to -10 some days, and I think "SPRIIING!!?" and then there's a snowstorm but a day later.

Don't even get me started on Canadians who get downright patriotic over this arctic cold. "It's nothing us Canadians aren't used to, eh!" they'll say, Tim Hortons mugs in-hand. With the Winter Olympics in full swing it's like all the patriotic Canucks emerge from their igloos and I'm just here like, when's the next flight to Australia, because I am so done. And all Instagrams of the "beautiful winter snow"? It's not beautiful, it's evil.

I love being Canadian but I am SO ready to retire these mittens :(

It genuinely sucks the life out of me to get up in the morning knowing that I have to brave the awful and terrible outdoors. Not only that, but it's as if I'm drained of all motivation and affect. God bless my short-lived effort to eat healthy this year, because making nutritious meals is the last thing on my mind these days. All I want is to curl up into my warm bed with Netflix and chocolate cake. And going to the gym? Don't mind if I don't. Seriously, it's a miracle if I step foot in that place.

School, work, and internship are just as lousy. I feel like time has been going by extra slowly this winter and my devotion to these commitments is dwindling every day. I'll sit at my desk at internship, reply to emails, and then stare at the clock for 15 minutes until I realize I should probably be productive.

Next week I'm going to Florida, and I should be happy about it, but I can't get over the fact that I'm only going for three days and will probably have to drive back from the New York airport in the middle of a snowstorm. I've been trying to plan every possible second of those pathetic 72 hours of sunshine to maximize happiness and optimism, but it's been tough. Also, the Tuesday I get back will be one of the most nerve-wrecking days of my semesters since my major project is due. So, yay, I guess.

Anyway, I really felt the need to write this post because ranting to my friends about the weather has become ultra redundant. Thanks for listening. Let's pray for sunny days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment