Sunday, November 3, 2013

OPI Take Ten 10pc Mini Set: Swatches & First Impressions

Hey everyone! So if you've seen my last Nail Polish Canada wishlist, you will know that I've been lusting after this set... And yes, I caved and bought it. It was just too good to pass up! I also went real fancy and ordered a nail wheel to swatch everything on, but I'll still post NOTDs as usual.



The set comes with 10 mini formats of popular OPI shades, including Pirouette My Whistle, Alpine Snow, Bubble Bath, Tickle My France-y, You Don't Know Jacques, Cajun Shrimp, Big Apple Red, German-icure, Malaga Wine, and Lincoln Park After Dark. The cost of the set is CAD$30.

You can separate the neutrals from the reds and have two really great stocking stuffers for Christmas. I think the intention behind this set is to present these polishes as testers. The idea is definitely to go out and buy full-sized versions of your favorites. The reason I say this is because the mini handle and brush are not the most comfortable. It's difficult to be precise with them, and some of these need many coats, meaning they will finish up quickly. That said, I personally like the idea of trying out some of the most popular OPI polishes without having to commit to a full size.

Click this photo to enlarge.
Pirouette My Whistle: I definitely suggest enlarging the above photo to get a good look at this one. It's a clear base with silver glitter and a few chunky white pieces throughout. Maybe it's the mini-ness of the polish, but you definitely have to fish for the white glitters if you want them, which is my only criticism. I think this will be really nice atop of Alpine Snow in the Winter months.

Alpine Snow: I can definitely see why this is a classic favorite for nail artists. It's a thick white polish that goes on opaque and is easy to smooth out. It's not dull-looking like some white polishes - I can detect a slight shimmer, which is definitely appreciated because it brings the white to life quite nicely. I foresee this being a contender to my favorite white polish, Julep "Kate".

Bubble Bath: Bubble Bath is a sheer nude-pink shade that takes about 3-4 coats to become opaque. This is one that, if you end up loving, will need to buy a full size asap because it will run out quickly. I've used it once, and my mom has also used it once, and it's already more than half empty. I can see why this shade is so beloved, though, because it's a very complimentary color if you have a light skintone.

Tickle My France-y: This pinky brown nude is one of the polishes that I am more iffy about. The formulation is a little more transparent than I'd like. The swatch you see above is three coats. I'm sure on an actual nail the application will be smoother. This would look amazing on you if you have a deeper complexion.

You Don't Know Jacques: This taupe brown shade is one of the most popular OPI polishes. I'm personally struggling to figure out why because it's a little on the sheer side, and the color is a bit dull for me. Maybe once I actually put it on I'll find out why! Crossing my fingers on that one.

Cajun Shrimp: Cajun Shrimp is a bright coral-red shade that's going to look great in the spring and summer. I had intended on buying Models Own "Hedonist" for the longest time, but I feel like this one might satisfy my need for a bright coral!

Big Apple Red: Believe it or not, I didn't have a rich red creme in my collection prior to buying this set. The application on this is amazing - it has its own way of smoothing itself out and is opaque in just two coats. If you're looking for that quintessential winter red, this is your pick.

German-icure: The only metallic in the collection, German-icure is a red-purple-brown cross. It was the one that I was most looking forward to, but when I swatched it, it was a little more sheer than I'd hoped. Maybe when I wear it my outlook will change. It's still a very beautiful shade.

Malaga Wine: This dark red shade will be amazing when it starts to get cold. For some reason dark reds are really comforting and cozy when the weather starts to change. This is also one of the polishes that applies really nicely. Two coats is all you'll need!

Lincoln Park After Dark: Another infamous OPI shade, Lincoln Park After Dark is an extra-dark plum colour. Personally, I would have loved this polish if it was one shade lighter. Two coats is not enough, but three coats makes it so dark it's almost black. It's still a gorgeous alternative to boring black, but the color gets lost when you apply too many coats.

What do you think? Is this set worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment