Thursday, February 7, 2013

Daily Skincare Routine (Day & Night)

Hey everyone! Lately I've been paying close attention to skincare and I feel like I finally found a routine that works for me. To give you a bit of history - I struggled with acne throughout high school and college. I had constant redness and your occasional splotch of cystic acne. I went to the doctor who prescribed a topical lotion as well as some pills for me to take, which worked incredibly well. (Note to readers: if you feel like your acne is a problem - do bring it up to your doctor during your next checkup).

Although the medicine my doctor prescribed worked well, eventually the pills ran out, and I wanted to maintain my clear skin without having to get back on them. The first step to a clear face is getting to know your skin. For instance, I'm aware that my skin is acne-prone due to the fact that my skin both dry AND oily (I'll explain this further on). Once you know your skin, you can pick and choose products more easily - ex: if you have dry skin, you shouldn't choose an oil-free face wash, because it will make your skin flake.

All that said, the following is how I prep my face for the day and how I get it ready for bed.

Morning face routine
1) Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser: First, I will use this cleanser or the St. Ives one depending on how I feel. If I'm looking for something gentler I will pick this one. I honestly prefer the Aveeno foaming cleanser, but this also does a good job in giving my face a quick cleanse. Sometimes I will use both the Aveeno and the St. Ives.

1-2) St. Ives Apricot Cleanser For Acne-Prone Skin: If I feel like my face needs a bit of a deeper clean, I'll opt for this. It's a milky texture but it also has cleansing beads which is quite nice. I'm not sure if I would repurchase this or the St. Ives exfoliant because I feel like this might be a little too gentle, but it does the trick nonetheless.

3) Benzaclin: This is the topical lotion that my doctor prescribed. I use the smallest possible amount on my problem areas. Literally just one tap of this is enough. The only problem is that this is very drying, so it is crucial to moisturize afterwards.

Small digression/explanation... As I mentioned earlier, my skin is both dry and oily. What I've discovered is that the topical cream dries my skin out even more, so I need to moisturize afterwards to counterbalance that. If I don't, my skin will overproduce oil to try and compensate for the dryness, which in turn makes my face look oily. Moisturizing will keep the skin hydrated and it will not feel the need to create excess oils. Moisturizing skin that has a tendency to be oily seems counterintuitive - I'm aware that it sounds crazy to add moisture to already oil-prone skin - but it does the trick. I promise. These oils are also what clog your pores and create acne. Vicious cycle, it seems.

4) Stila One-Step Corrector: This is what I use in lieu of a simple moisturizer. It moisturizes, primes, counteracts redness, etc. For a full review of this product click HERE.

5) Urban Decay De-Slick: I use a few spritzes of this to mattify my skin as a further precaution to avoid oil build-up. I think this really, really makes a difference and I can feel it in my skin throughout the day when I forget this step.

6) Marcelle Hydra-C Foundation: I don't really pay attention to the skin benefits of foundations because I believe taking the proper skincare treatments/precautions are more important. But, I added this in just to represent the fact that at this point, my face would be ready for makeup.

Nighttime face routine
1) Bioderma Eau Micellaire: To remove the day's worth of makeup, I start by putting some Bioderma on a cotton round to remove my eye makeup. It does a great job in breaking down even waterproof mascara. If I feel like I have a lot of face makeup, I'll also use a makeup wipe to preliminarily remove it (NEVER rely on makeup wipes to complete the job - always use a cleanser afterwards).

2) St. Ives Apricot Cleanser: I cleanse my face with this before bed because it helps to remove any leftover makeup, and the weird film that makeup remover/wipes leave on my face - anyone else have this problem?

3) Benzaclin: My topical acne cream. I use this twice a day.

4) Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer: As I mentioned, it's super important to moisturize. If I don't moisturize, I will undoubtedly wake up with a super oily face (so gross).

I should also mention that I now sleep with my hair in a braid or in a bun so that the oils in my hair don't touch my face while I sleep - it makes a big difference as well.

Anyway, I hope you found this post informative! Sorry it's a bit of a hefty read, I should really start making YouTube videos for my longer-winded posts lol. Let me know in the comments what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment