Thursday, January 24, 2013

NOTD: Matte Black & Shiny Tips

Hey everyone! About a week ago Rachel from 87daysbefore Instagrammed a photo of her matte black nails with shiny tips, and she reminded me that I'd been wanting to try out this manicure for a long time.  I've seen this manicure on Tumblr many times but it's been getting quite popular recently. In fact, only a couple hours after I posted my manicure on Instagram, Kim Kardashian posted the exam same NOTD! Arden from ARose186 also posted her matte black nails (sans shiny tips though).

I think this is a really nice spin on traditional black nails. The shiny French tips give it a classier effect because I think the matte black on its own can be a little grungy (equally cool, but different).

I basically used a really cheap black polish (can't say I recommend this one as I've had it forever and it's a little streaky now), then I blocked off the tips with tape and painted the rest with a matte top coat, then removed the tape and voila! I used a Kiko matte top coat but I know Sephora by OPI has one too if you're interested.

My only issue with this manicure is that the tip and the rest don't blend in seamlessly (the tip looks embossed or something?). Compare it to Kim's manicure. If anyone has a solution for this, please let me know in the comments. Otherwise I think it's super unique.

Let me know what you think!

PS: I've added a "Questions?" tab in the left sidebar so feel free to ask me anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment