Thursday, August 16, 2012

Summer Movie Post #2

Hey everyone! I thought today would be a good time to write up the sequel to THIS post, and review a couple more movies I've seen this summer. My goal is to be up-to-date with my reviews so I can write them more frequently/as soon as I see a new one, but I feel guilty doing that knowing I still have a bunch to write about. I also want to start talking about TV shows I've been into, but I want to finish my movies posts first. :) So without further ado...

5) Like Crazy: This movie was recommended to me by one of my friends and I'm glad I watched it. It's not a happy movie and it's not very exciting either, but it's honest and relatable. It gets a little tedious at times but it shows how easily people can fall in and out of love. Some people say it's too depressing, but I think people sometimes confuse "depressing" and "realistic". Aside from Jennifer Lawrence, I don't think there are many recognizable actors in this film, but that just adds to the relatable aspect.

Verdict: Not amazing but not terrible.

(Oh! Also, I started adding stars to the graphics on these posts in case you're too lazy to read the review/are more visual or whatnot)

6) Fight Club: I literally cannot believe I'd never seen this movie before. I guess I just figured, meh, what's so exciting about a bunch of guys fighting? But, of course, that isn't the whole story, is it? It's a little Inception-y in the sense that it has a surreal sci-fi aspect to it, but it's not intimidatingly cerebral. Anyway, I loved this one. This is the first movie of the summer that lived up to its hype for me. I'm actually reading the book now so who knows? I might have a book review coming soon. Edward Norton is gold in this and David Fincher can do no wrong by me.

Verdict: This is a good one. Undeniable.

7) Avengers: I'm a huge Marvel fan so I knew going in that I would love this film. It's just an incredibly entertaining superhero movie and honestly, there's not much else to it. There's some subtle humor in it too which is nice. A piece of advice before watching this is to make sure you've seen Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America first. It's not essential that you have, but trust me, you'll appreciate the Avengers that much more. What I liked most was the final action scene. Sometimes these can get boring but because the perspective was seven-fold, it was so much more exciting.

Verdict: A must-see for superhero lovers.

8) What To Expect When You're Expecting: This is one of those movies with multiple storylines that end up connecting in some way or another, which can be a hit-or-miss with me. What tends to happen is that I prefer one storyline over the other and get impatient when one I don't like is onscreen. So already, that's a point off for this one. All I can really say about this movie is "meh". It wasn't great. It wasn't that funny even though it tried hard.

Verdict: See it if you have nothing better to see, otherwise don't waste your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment