Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer Movie Post #1


Hello there, everyone! Today I come to you with a new addition to this blog: movie reviews! If you take a quick look to your left you will notice my bio that mentions I like “makeup and clothes and movies”. See? A liar, I am not. It’s been my mission this summer to basically watch every “must-see” film there ever was that I did not previously see. The reason why I’m doing this is because in the fall I’m going to be entering a Communications program in university, amongst which there will be many film aficionados. I figured I’d brush up on my movie-watching so as to not look like an ass. Ah yes, the pressure of being accepted by my peers before even starting university. Love it.

Now I have to say, I’ve watched a TON of movies so far this summer, and of course, I’ve been keeping track of which ones I did and did not like. It’s a random little bundle that combines many-a-genre, including films that are not necessarily socially accepted “must-see” films, but rather Erica-deemed “must-see” films. You’ll get it as I go on.

My last point: if you would enjoy taking a look at all the films I have seen in my entire life you can find a list of those right HERE. This is a website called icheckmovies.com and it is fantastic if you take movie-watching as seriously as I do. If you’re on there, feel free to add me as a friend because my current three friends are my cousin and two creepy strangers. If you’re not on there, GET on there! Seriously, it’s cool.

Without further ado, here are the first couple movies I saw this summer:

1) American Psycho: This was a tough one for me. I get the hype, I really do. The satire is spot-on and Christian Bale is just awesome. But the amount of guts and blood in this was a bit much for me. I don't respond well to violent films, but then violent films that are meant to have a strain of humor in them... It's like, an added twist of the knife for me. I get squeamish and uncomfortable when I see a serial killer smiling ear-to-ear while hacking up their co-worker with an axe. Just me, or? Anyway. Christian Bale is particularly sexy in this film, that I must admit. 

Verdict: Worth the watch, but not for the faint of heart.

(Like, seriously? That is a staple gun, people. Gah. Goosebumps.)

2) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy: Okay. This one might make everyone hate me. Haters gon' hate doe. I didn't like this movie. I was initially really iffy about watching it because I knew I would be disappointed. I just really do not like Will Ferrel at all. There are a couple actors that I cannot warm up to, Will Ferrel being one of them (Owen Wilson, too, but we'll get to him in another post). I mean, I found the humor very basic and just, boring. This is one of those movies that would be nothing without its cult following. It's like Mean Girls. If you think about it, was Mean Girls actually that good? Let's be honest with ourselves here. The Anchorman fandom took those one-liners and ran with them. "I love lamp"... Really?

Verdict: Not a fan. But if you can tolerate Will Ferrel, go for it. Maybe it's just me.

3) Ferris Bueller's Day Off: I think I saw this one right after American Psycho because I needed something light to cleanse my palette, shall we say... I did like this film. It's a really pleasant family movie. The humor is a little old-school and quirky, but still relatable and fun to watch. I don't have much else to say, I guess!

Verdict: A feel-good, lighthearted movie. I wouldn't expect wonders, but it's amusing enough.

4) Shame: Wow, this is a movie that you don't forget. The content is pretty NSFW because Michael Fassbender is butt-naked basically the whole movie, but that's a plus for me (don't know about you). The plot is something I've never really seen before, so it is very unique. The cinematographic quality of this one is also quite high. It features some fantastic shots. I don't suggest watching it if you're uncomfortable about nudity/sex, and DEFINITELY don't watch it with your parents. Goddamn. Do avoid that. 

Verdict: Naked Michael Fassbender. Some R-rated content. Quality filmmaking. I liked it.

(I didn't have the heart to edit this still. The whole movie has this blue-green overtone. Love it.)

OKAY! So that concludes my first movie post. I hope you all enjoyed it! If you have any movie recommendations for me, please do leave them in the comments below. If you're unsure about whether I saw a movie you're about to suggest, check out THIS list (scroll down and click "checks"). 

No comments:

Post a Comment